[Engine-devel] use jrebel to stop redeploying and save precious time

Roy Golan rgolan at redhat.com
Wed Oct 16 12:02:53 UTC 2013

Hi all

oVirt developers now have FOSS license to use jRebel.

what is jRebel?

from http://zeroturnaround.com/software/jrebel/

"View Changes Instantly,

See all changes to Java application instantly in the browser. Save and
refresh! Locally or remotely. No Maven build needed!"

Yes no need to run make,mvn,setup and so on...

step to make it work (5 minutes work)

* install jRebel plugin for your IDE -
http://manuals.zeroturnaround.com/jrebel/ide/index.html
* send me a *private* mail, I'll reply back with the key, then go
activate the plugin from your IDE
* right click "bll" project and ask the pick jRebel from the menu to
create a rebel.xml
* place /*20-java.conf*/ under
*/$PREFIX/ovirt-engine/etc/ovirt-engine/engine.conf.d//* and edit it to
point to your jrebel.jar.

     this is my /*20-java.conf*/:

       ENGINE_JVM_ARGS="${ENGINE_JVM_ARGS}
-javaagent:/home/rgolan/.IntelliJIdea12/config/plugins/jr-ide-idea/lib/jrebel/jrebel.jar"

from now on, every change to a class in bll which is compiled (so
target/classes dir changes) will be reloaded in the jvm.

note: this add few seconds to jboss boot time. but worth it.

Thanks,
Roy