[Engine-devel] Question about Engine user session timeout

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Mon Oct 21 13:55:01 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

I see two different config values for dealing with Engine user session timeout.

First, from packaging/etc/engine-config/engine-config.properties file:
- UserSessionTimeOutInterval.description=Session timeout interval in minutes, after which it will be expired and clean. A negative value indicates the session should never timeout.
- UserSessionTimeOutInvalidationInterval.description=Session timeout invalidation interval in minutes. Specifies the interval in which the invalidation check should occur.

Then, in org.ovirt.engine.core.common.config.ConfigValues enum:
- UserSessionTimeOutInterval (default 30)
- UserSessionTimeOutInvalidationInterval (default 30)

Looking at Backend#Initialize, both of these values are used when scheduling "cleanExpiredUsersSessions" job:
- UserSessionTimeOutInterval = initialDelay param, i.e. the initial delay before the first activation [SchedulerUtil#scheduleAFixedDelayJob]
- UserSessionTimeOutInvalidationInterval = taskDelay param, i.e. the delay between jobs [SchedulerUtil#scheduleAFixedDelayJob]

So if I read this correctly, if UserSessionTimeOutInterval=100 then UserSessionTimeOutInvalidationInterval is relevant only after first 100min of Engine uptime.

Why do we have two different config values for Engine user session timeout? i.e. why don't we use same value for both initialDelay & taskDelay param?

Thanks,
Vojtech