[Engine-devel] Issues with VirtIO-SCSI

Daniel Erez derez at redhat.com
Tue Sep 24 12:31:01 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

For consistency, I'll filter the interface from the list when VirtIO-SCSI is disabled.
So yeah, keep that in mind when modifying your patch.

> Another issue is that in change #18622 the support for a PPC64-specific
> controller, the SPAPR VSCSI controller, was introduced. But the code was
> created based on the assumption that the VirtIO-SCSI controller was always
> present, and this isn't the case anymore. And another patch that I will work
> on really soon will add support to create disks that are connected to this
> interface.

Can you filter the option out or add a warning when VirtIO-SCSI is disabled?

> So, I would like some feedback before changing these patches. Is a validation
> on the backend enough to block the user from using an inexistent controller?
> Should the frontend be changed as well? What would be a good approach to
> handle multiple SCSI controllers in a VM (were the presence of one of them
> is optional)?

You should block it in the engine on canDo and filter the option / warn about it in the UI.
Regarding multiple controllers, are you referring to multiple types of controllers
or just multiple VirtIO-SCSI devices?