[Engine-devel] Please help us to review our database schema design with NUMA feature on ovirt

Gilad Chaplik gchaplik at redhat.com
Thu Apr 3 10:46:32 UTC 2014

> From: "Eli Mesika" <emesika at redhat.com>
> To: "Xiao-Lei Shi (Bruce, HP Servers-PSC-CQ)" <xiao-lei.shi at hp.com>
> Sent: Thursday, April 3, 2014 10:54:54 AM
> Subject: Re: Please help us to review our database schema design with NUMA feature on ovirt

> > From: "Xiao-Lei Shi (Bruce, HP Servers-PSC-CQ)" <xiao-lei.shi at hp.com>
> > To: "Gilad Chaplik" <gchaplik at redhat.com>, "Eli Mesika"
> > Cc: "Roy Golan" <rgolan at redhat.com>, "Omer Frenkel" <ofrenkel at redhat.com>,
> > Sent: Thursday, April 3, 2014 7:25:11 AM
> > Subject: RE: Please help us to review our database schema design with NUMA

> > Mobile +86 18696583447
> > Email xiao-lei.shi at hp.com

Let's open the discussion and consider them right now. vNode and Node are the same.
Vinod?

> I agree with Bruce, we have no problem with more tables and constrains should
> work as expected and remove entries when a Host or VM is removed.
> I do not like tables that have 2 UUIDs when one of them is null , this is
> against simple DB normalization

We are going to maintain and develop this feature. there is a huge overhead in 6 table design in compare to 4.

> > 2) No templates reference in the design, need to check it out (it might be
> > inherently designed already :-) ); vNode can be linked to a template.
> > [Bruce] IMO, we can consider template as a special vm, our current design
> > supports to create vNodes in a template just like what it does in a vm.
>
> We also store today templates in the VM* tables as special entities defined
> by the entity_type column

+1, just need to see that this is taken care of.

> > 3) The reason I want host's NUMA data to be in static is because it updates
> > only once (on boot). "engineerically" speaking, dynamic table has a lot of
> > traffic and that's not the case for NUMA info. Its feels to me like 'a
> > hybrid' of static and dynamic, 3 suggestions comes to mind:
> >  - leave it in dynamic (maybe in a separate process).
> >  - have a separate flow that updates static.
> >  - come up with a third 'vds_on_boot' table (my favorite ;-P ).
> > I will get back to you on that.
> > [Bruce] From the onTimer codes in vdsManager (IMO it's the scheduled vds
> > refresh action), when vds is in normal running status (up status), only
> > statistics data will be refreshed, so I think maybe dynamic table doesn't
> > have so much traffic, and the varied data (I mean the data varied through a
> > power reload, like cpu topology, numa topology, ...etc) can be refreshed
> > meanwhile.

I beg to differ, dynamic table contains a lot of dynamic data:
host status, used memory and pending resources (maybe more).
still need to think about it, and get back to you.

> > 4) vm_vds_numa_node_map is connected to vds_numa_node_statistics, why to
> > split the tables (vds_numa_node & vds_numa_node_statistics), going back to
> > comment #1, don't we want vNode stats as well, it can be nice to show it
> > :-)
> > (have a vNUMA overview of the VM using guest-agent or sth, in a future
> > phase).
> > [Bruce] Split the tables is referring to vds_interface
> > (vds_interface_statistics) and vm_interface (vm_interface_statistics), the
> > statistics table will be refreshed with a high frequency.
> > I will update the design to add the vNuma statistics for the future phase,
> > and according to my feedback in comment #1, vNuma statistics will also in
> > an
> > independent table since I think there will be more statistics fields for
> > host NUMA than for vNuma.
>
> Agree with Bruce

I disagree with both:
a) don't compare interface to NUMA; interface is a key element in the system.
b) if you care about high frequency, you can separate the update flows to the same table.
c) see my comment about 1, overhead.
d) vNuma = Numa, as I said we can open it now for discussion.

> > 5) IMO vds_cpu_statistics shouldn't include any reference to NUMA, I gave
> > that comment in the BE patch as well (remove vds_numa_node_id FK in
> > vds_cpu_statistics), for that you should extract cpu_list to a connection
> > table (anyway I don't like lists as a text/strings/etc.)
> > [Bruce] Yes, I agree with you to remove the reference between
> > vds_cpu_statistics and NUMA. Actually cpu_list is enough for current
> > requirements. I think the connection table is needed when we consider to
> > collect more cpu related information and do more cpu related actions in the
> > future.

fine, can be done in a later phase. Please document with a bug/RFE enhancement and mark infra in whiteboard.

> > 6) vm_numatune_nodeset can be removed - the vNode should hold it's pinning
> > info; I think that vNode (node according to comment #1) should be connected
> > to a connection table that points to vdsNode (also Node table) itself
> > (kinda
> > complicated but does the trick - nested link).
> > [Bruce] Yes, I will remove vm_numatune_nodeset, but according to my
> > feedback
> > in comment #1, vm_vds_numa_node_map table will be retained to hold the
> > references between host nodes and vNode, since they are "m:n" relations.

repeating my later comment:

correction: no need for another connection table, use vm_vds_numa_node_map with a flag (is_pinned)

> > 7) Please add delete-cascade info all over, i.e. what happens when we
> > remove
> > a host/vm/node.
> > [Bruce] Yes, I will update the design.

:-) thanks!

> > 8) Is it possible to put a db constraint that mapping between vNode and
> > Node
> > will be deleted once the VM isn't UP?
> > [Bruce] I have a question here. IMO, the mapping between vNode and Node is
> > user configuration, why it is related with the vm status? If the mapping is
> > deleted, that means the user configuration is deleted. I don't think it's
> > reasonable.

see comment #6 (including the correction). there is actual real-life NUMA mapping retrieved by the host, and there is pinning info.
when a VM is down, the actual real-life mapping can be removed.