[ovirt-devel] [vdsm] vdsm sync meeting minutes April 1st, 2014

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Wed Apr 9 13:01:31 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 09:29:09AM +0100, danken at redhat.com wrote:

> - We had a very (too) heated debate about ignoring failures of
>   setDomainRegularRole() in http://gerrit.ovirt.org/24495/ and
>   http://gerrit.ovirt.org/25424.
>
>   The pain point is that relying on domain role (master/regular) is
>   faulty by design. We cannot avoid the cases where a pool has more than
>   one domain with a master role written in its metadata.
>
>   One side argued that oVirt should be fixed to handle this unescapable
>   truth, or at least enumerate the places where Vdsm and Engine, both
>   current and old, depend on master role uniqueness.
>
>   The other side argued that this is not a priority task, and that we
>   should try to "garbage-collect" known-bad master roles as a courtesy
>   to people digging into domain metadata, and as a means to lessen the
>   problem until we kill the pool concept in the upcoming version.
>
>   I hope that I present the debate fairly enough.

In order to move these two patches forward, how about:

- Limit the usage of the catching-all "except Exception" and replace
  it with swalling only the expected IO error

- Add a comment about setDomainRegularRole() being called only as a
  courtesy garbage-collection attempt.

- Conduct a survey on whether migrateMaster is used by anyone. No
  supported Engine has it, but I there was a suggestion that it was
  still expected via the command line.

What do you think?