[ovirt-devel] Fwd: rpm deps

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 14:10:13 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 09:41:40AM -0400, Piotr Kliczewski wrote:
> Adding to the discussion.

Your CC line was too huge. devel at ovirt.org should be used to such
discussions.

> Currently vdsm-xmlrpc rpm is required by vdsm and vdsm-cli rpms. Initially I suggested to have vdsm-jsonrpc required by vdsm-api but it do not seems to be good idea.
> I think that we need to add that dept to vdsm rpm in the same way as it is for vdsm-xmlrpc.
>
> I do not understand why we have decided to split jsonrpc code between two rpms:
>
> vdms-api:
> - vdsmapi-schema.json
>
> vdsm-jsonrpc:
> - BindingJsonRpc
> - Bridge
>
> vdsm-yajsonrpc:
> - __init__
> - betterAsyncore
> - stomp
> - stompReactor
>
> I understand that we may have schema in api package but do we really need two packages for jsonrpc?
> Currently we need a package for stomp reactor so I suggest for now to have one json(stomp) rpm and
> create second for amqp when there will be need for it.

I believe that the motivation for the current packaging was that
- yajsonrpc is not strictly vdsm-related. It is a candidate for a
  spin-off
- jsonrpc is sever-side only
- api might be needed by clients, too. But I hope we'd have reasonable
  inspection to avoid this need.

As long as vdsm can work without jsonrpc, I'd rather that it does not
require the package. When we move away of xmlrpc, we could drop the
xmlrpc requirement, too.

Dan.