[ovirt-devel] short recap of last vdsm call (15.4.2014)

Adam Litke alitke at redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 17:26:18 UTC 2014

On 30/04/14 14:22 +0100, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 02:54:29PM +0300, ybronhei wrote:
>> hey,
>>
>> somehow we missed the summary of this call, and few "big" issues
>> were raised there. so i would like to share it with all and hear
>> more comments
>>
>> - task id in http header - allows engine to initiate calls with id
>> instead of following vdsm response - federico already started this
>> work, and this is mandatory for live merge feature afaiu.
>
>Adam, Federico, may I revisit this question from another angle?
>
>Why does Vdsm needs to know live-merge's task id?
>As far as I understand, (vmid, disk id) are enough to identify a live
>merge process.

A vmId + diskId can uniquely identify a block job at a single moment
in time since qemu guarantees that only a single block job can run at
any given point in time.  But this gives us no way to differentiate
two sequential jobs that run on the same disk.  Therefore, without
having an engine-supplied jobID, we can never be sure if a one job
finished and another started since the last time we polled stats.
Additionally, engine-supplied UUIDs is part of a developing framework
for next-generation async tasks.  Engine prefers to use a single
identifier to represent any kind of task (rather than some problem
domain specific combination of UUIDs).  Adhering to this rule will
help us to converge on a single implementation of ng async tasks
moving forward.

>If we do not have a task id, we do not need to worry on how to pass it,
>and where to persist it.

There are at least 3 reasons to persist a block job ID:
* To associate a specific block job operation with a specific
  engine-initiated flow.
* So that you can clean up after a job that completed when vdsm could
  not receive the completion event.
* Since we must ask libvirt about block job events on a per VM, per
  disk basis, tracking the devices on which we expect block jobs
  enables us to eliminate wasteful calls to libvirt.

Hope this makes the rationale a bit clearer...

--
Adam Litke