[Engine-devel] GWT Dev Mode unbearably slow in WebAdmin

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Mon Feb 17 14:58:53 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

AFAIK classic GWT Dev Mode is slow because it does recompilation on the fly.

Not sure if related, but debugging GUI code with "gwtdev" Maven profile
(activated through "gwt-debug" Makefile target) downgrades gwt-maven-plugin
version to 2.4.0, see http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/22108/ for details.

We could try several things here:

1, use gwt-maven-plugin 2.5.1 instead of 2.4.0
   in root pom.xml change
   <gwt-maven-plugin.workingRefresh.version>2.4.0</gwt-maven-plugin.workingRefresh.version>
   <gwt-maven-plugin.workingRefresh.version>${gwt.version}</gwt-maven-plugin.workingRefresh.version>

2, disable GWT persistent unit cache
   in frontend/webadmin/modules/pom.xml find <artifactId>gwt-maven-plugin</artifactId>
   add <persistentunitcache>false</persistentunitcache> to <configuration>
   -or-
   make gwt-debug [usual options] DEV_EXTRA_BUILD_FLAGS="-Dgwt.persistentunitcache=false"

3, avoid using method-entry breakpoints as these are very slow [1]
   disable Firebug during initial page load

[1] https://blogs.sourceallies.com/2013/04/java-method-breakpoints-are-evil/

> Any improvement to current status would be much appreciated.

I'd like to push towards GWT Super Dev Mode [2] that avoids on-the-fly
recompilation, i.e. precompiled permutation debugged directly inside
given browser.

[2] http://www.gwtproject.org/articles/superdevmode.html

(Putting above on my GWT improvement task list.)