[Engine-devel] Small suggestions for engine-log-collector

Keith Robertson kroberts at redhat.com
Wed Mar 12 12:38:13 UTC 2014

On 03/12/2014 07:05 AM, Vojtech Szocs wrote:

> [...]

I'm pretty sure that public key registration used to be part of the
deploy script.  If this is no longer the case it is a fairly major
supportability issue.

>> Clearly, there are edge cases where you need to collect logs from a
>> hypervisor that isn't properly registered with the RHEV-M.  Was this your
>> situation and how common do you think this scenario is?
>
> It was either a misconfiguration on my part or that I skipped some step with
> regard to public key registration.

Understand.

The reason why we bias the LC towards public key auth and fall back to
PW auth is that the LC needs to make multiple calls[1] to each
Hypervisor and, if you're not using public key auth it is definitely a
sub-optimal usage experience.  Multiply [1] times the N number of
hyper-visors and the user's annoyance factor will surely reach a boiling
point. ;)

[1]
- 1 ssh call to launch sos
- 1 sftp call to get the report and remove it from /tmp

>>>        engine-log-collector -k ""
>>>

>> Yes, you are nulling out the default value which causes the LC to prompt you
>> for a PW.  Perhaps we should document this as opposed to supplying a
>> specific option?  Sandro?
>
> Well, the doc text says "If a identity file is not supplied..." which I
> understood as not supplying option value (i.e. "") at all, but this was
> just my understanding.

Your understanding is correct and you forced the tool not to find the
default identity file with a clever null argument.

There's nothing wrong with this usage per-se and maybe we should either
document it or provide an explicit option to force PW auth.

--
Keith Robertson
Supervisor, Software Engineering