[Engine-devel] attn ui devs: why do we use inputs for labels?

Greg Sheremeta gshereme at redhat.com
Thu Mar 13 15:02:15 UTC 2014

Hi fellow UI developers,

Can someone explain why we are using "input type=text" fields to render labels? (see screenshot[1]) This seems like bad practice for a few reasons:
 * it's not semantic HTML
 * inputs do not have variable sizing like text. They cannot shrink down to the size of the text, which makes positioning difficult.
 * common browser extensions such as LastPass can be confused (see screenshot[1] -- lastpass sees these labels for the text fields they are, and attempts to help the user fill them in -- that's what those gray asterisks are. Very confusing.)

I'd like to pursue correcting this, if possible.

Thanks,
Greg

[1] http://i.imgur.com/AweOhJe.png

Greg Sheremeta