[Engine-devel] hosted engine in 3.4

Martin Sivak msivak at redhat.com
Fri Mar 14 09:13:01 UTC 2014

Hi,

> >> 1. You need to have some MAC address with static ip and FQDN, otherwise
> >> you have to change /etc/hosts at least for the first part of the setup

I believe you were there when we were discussing this with pstehlik :)

Btw in this case you have to change /etc/hosts on all hosts and inside the
engine VM.

> >> 2. When the VM install is complete I would expect the setup wizard to
> >> install the engine to the VM automatically - which at least in my case -
> >> doesn't happen

I also proposed kickstart based setup to Sandro. You would give a repo to setup
and it would download the kernel/initrd from it [1] and create a kickstart with
the right root password, engine setup and so on..

[1] http://ftp.linux.cz/pub/linux/fedora/linux/releases/20/Fedora/x86_64/os/images/pxeboot/

> >> 1. once I managed to install the engine to the vm it tried to add the
> >> host it was running on to the engine and it failed with a message "Host
> >> compatibility version doesn't match the cluster compatibility version",
> >> and then it marked the host as non operational which killed the vm with
> >> the engine, so the engine actually committed suicide…

Check your VDSM version. Especially the content of /usr/share/vdsm/dsaversion.py
file. There are couple of lists specifying the cluster and engine versions that
the VDSM supports.

If you use 3.4 engine it needs 3.4 VDSM as well.. and the prerelease repo is not
enabled by default.

> >> mistake I think the engine should be a bit more clever and not kill itself

I think it is the VDSM that does the actual killing :)

But overall I agree, the setup is too fragile and I encountered all of the issues
when installing hosted engine for the first time too.

--
Martin Sivák
msivak at redhat.com
Red Hat Czech