[Engine-devel] REST API - where did bookmarks go?

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Mon Mar 24 16:12:55 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Einav Cohen" <ecohen at redhat.com>

+1

My understanding is that bookmarks are just named search queries, whose main advantage is the ability to put (potentially complex) search query behind a friendly-named bookmark.

Bookmarks exist in WebAdmin GUI (as it provides the search panel) and as far as I can tell, there are no permissions involved when dealing with bookmarks via BookmarkDAO.

So it seems that bookmark data could be persisted locally (in browser) via HTML local storage. However, the disadvantage (as mentioned by Einav below) is per-browser persistence, instead of today's per-Engine persistence. If we are OK with per-browser persistence of bookmarks, I'm for it.

Indeed, this was the reason behind RFE https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1075556 - even after migrating to REST API, bookmark functionality should be preserved. (But we can also decide if we want to change that, if necessary.)

> ----
> Thanks,
> Einav

Actually, the ability to put search string in WebAdmin URL is a *VERY* interesting idea!

For example:
- assume you login and land on WebAdmin.html#vms
- you change URL to WebAdmin.html#search;q=Host%3A%20name%20%3D%20asdasd [*]
- WebAdmin applies requested search string, performs place change to WebAdmin.html#hosts

[*] encodeURIComponent('Host: name = asdasd')

Not only would users be able to navigate WebAdmin through search string in URL, but UI plugins could do this too via some plugin API function.

Gilad, could you please create RFE for this? (it's a very good idea, IMHO)