[ovirt-devel] vdsm disabling logical volumes

Jiri Moskovcak jmoskovc at redhat.com
Sun May 4 17:08:33 UTC 2014

Greetings vdsm developers!

While working on adding ISCSI support to the hosted engine tools, I ran
into a problem with vdms. It seems that when stopped vdsm deactivates
ALL logical volumes in it's volume group and when it starts it
reactivates only specific logical volumes. This is a problem for hosted
engine tools as they create logical volumes in the same volume group and
when vdsm deactivates the LVs the hosted engine tools don't have a way
to reactivate it, because the services drop the root permissions and are
running as vdsm and apparently only root can activate LVs. So far the
only suitable solution seems to be to change vdsm to only
deactivate/activate it's own LVs. I would be grateful for any hints.

Thank you,
Jirka