[ovirt-devel] vdsm disabling logical volumes

Jiri Moskovcak jmoskovc at redhat.com
Wed May 7 12:16:34 UTC 2014

On 05/07/2014 11:37 AM, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> On Wed, May 07, 2014 at 09:56:03AM +0200, Jiri Moskovcak wrote:
>> On 05/07/2014 09:28 AM, Nir Soffer wrote:

- just out of a curiosity, how can mistakenly-active LV cause data
corruption? something like a stalled LV which refers to a volume which
doesn't exists anymore?

> We do not want to deactivate and then re-activating the same set of LVs.
> That would be illogical. We intentionally deactivate LVs that are no
> longer used on the specific host - that's important if a qemu died while
> Vdsm was down, leaving a stale LV behind.
>
> Design-wise, Vdsm would very much like to keep its ownership of
> Vdsm-created storage domain. Let us discuss how your feature can be
> implemented without this breach of ownership.

Ok, I agree that this should have been discussed with the storage team
at the design phase, so let's start from the beginning and try to come
up with a better solution.
   My problem is that I need a storage for the hosted-engine data which
is accessible from all hosts. It seems logical to use the same physical
storage as we use for "the storage". For NFS it's just a file in
/rhev/data-center/mnt/<IP>\mountpoint/<UUID>/ha_agent/. So where/how do
you suggest to store such data in case of using lvm (iscsi in this
case). Can we use vdsm to set it up or do we have to duplicate the lvm
code and handle it our self?

Thanks,
Jirka