[ovirt-devel] Custom Properties code duplication

Gilad Chaplik gchaplik at redhat.com
Thu May 8 06:50:19 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

:-) okay, sorry for not being clear enough.
So this is a major detail IMO, the motivation in separation, in to decouple the ui from backend (implies from the word separation).

> In my opinion the validations are inherently similar. If we take the

on logically we can still debate :) but not programmatically, different environment/set of capabilities.

you gave a wonderful example where we need to have duplicate code: regex (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_regular_expression_engines)

referring to the patches you submitted (http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/q/status:open+project:ovirt-engine+branch:master+topic:NetworkCustomProperties,n,z)

> >> This is part of what having common libraries aims to reduce.
> >
> > what is 'common' lib btw?, backend/manager/modules/common is the wrong
> > answer.
> >

> To me common is the right answer. It hosts all the common business
> entities that are used by the backend, the frontend and the REST. I've
> used some networking constants used for backend validation in frontend
> validation. And now the custom properties validation is hosted there and
> shared.

now it's not the case, common is a server lib (used by the client as well).

> >> As mentioned above, I don't see how compatibility is compromised.
> >
> > As I said, +1 for your patches, because they're already submitted, and
> > they're good for the very immediate future (fyi, regressions is sth that I
> > didn't consider, this will be yours and the reviewers responsibility), but
> > note that the code will be duplicated soon, and altered to meet REST
> > entities; all of this will happen in the near future (near is relative
> > :-)).
> >

> That's not what I understood about the move over REST. I thought another
> layer of code would be added between the frontend and backend to
> translate backend entities to frontend entities if needed, and that all
> the current frontend code would stay as is. We might over time pick at
> the Java code and incrementally replace it with JavaScript code where
> beneficial, but again this doesn't mean duplication.

The move over REST is removing any dependency to backend jars. according to last meeting I attended, we will get the data from the RESTful API using the JS-SDK,
the UI will have it's 'own' BEs, built on top JS entities (java).
There will be a second project which will help in integrating JS-SDK to ui's needs.
The client shouldn't know what is the word VDS (and other BE entities in that matter), and that includes any translation code.

All of this thread started from the work misunderstanding :-)
Vojtech can you shed some light?