[ovirt-devel] vdsm disabling logical volumes

Jiri Moskovcak jmoskovc at redhat.com
Tue May 13 07:16:49 UTC 2014

On 05/12/2014 05:27 PM, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:

>>> It's not going to solve our design problem, but can the users of that LV
>>> activate it just before they open it? This way there's only a small
>>> window where vdsm can crash, restart, and deactivate the LV.
>>>

>> - no, it runs as vdsm user and as it seems only root can activate LVs and
>> during the startup when it still has the root privs, it doesn't know
>> anything about the storage, the storage is connected on a client request
>> when it already doesn't have root privs
>
> Vdsm uses "sudo" for these purposes.

- that would solve the problem with privs, but I would really like to
avoid the situation where the vdsm disables the LVs as there is no
reason for disabling it as there can be situation where vdsm is down and
the VM with the engine is still running ok

>> - we could use vdsm to activate the LV if it provides API which allows that
>
> There's the undocumented prepareImage(), but please do not use it before
> an ack by the storage team.

- sure, I'm working on it with Nir now, I won't do anything without the
storage team approval ;)