[ovirt-devel] UX debug mode in chrome

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Thu May 22 12:21:56 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Thanks for sharing this info.

oVirt UI currently uses GWT SDK version 2.5.1 where Super Dev Mode
(debugging via browser using source maps) is still experimental and
cannot be used at the moment [1].

[1] http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/26093/

My understanding is that GWT team slowly abandons Classic Dev Mode
(debugging via Java IDE using browser plugin) in favor of Super Dev
Mode. Next time we'll upgrade GWT SDK version, we will definitely
check if Super Dev Mode works for our applications, and prefer this
style of debugging over the classic one.

In any case, GWT 3.0 is coming and it has the potential to bring in
a whole lot of new features and, most importantly, improvements to
existing development cycle [2].

[2] http://blog.xam.de/2014/02/gwt-is-coming-back-in-2015.html

> So if you see a Chrome update available and you want to debug, don't apply
> it.

You can always setup some VM with browser(s) used for GWT debugging.