[ovirt-devel] [vdsm] VM volume chain information in getVMList API

Adam Litke alitke at redhat.com
Thu May 22 16:37:31 UTC 2014

For Live Merge, engine needs a way to get a list of volume UUIDs that
comprise the volume chain for a given VM disk.  Initially, we created
a new verb getVolumeChain(vm, driveSpec) that would return a list of
VM uuids.  In the interest of preventing API bloat I would prefer to
use the 'volumeChain' list in VmDiskDevice which is retrieved from the
getVMList public API.

Federico mentioned that this info may have been exposed by accident at
one point and I agree that things like volume paths should not be
used and should possibly be removed from this structure.  That being
said, we have a real use case for using the volume UUIDs and that
should be quite safe.

Do you agree with my assessment or should I continue with the
getVolumeChain verb which does nothing more than:

  return [x['volumeID'] for x in vmDrive['volumeChain']]

--
Adam Litke