[ovirt-devel] [vdsm] Unifying VM device representations

Martin Polednik mpoledni at redhat.com
Sat May 24 23:47:45 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

I'll get in touch with you as soon as I'm in the office (exam period
slowly coming to an end).

> > Are you planning on changing the recovery code save/recovery of
> > vm.conf to work with the new device container you are creating?
>
> This will be indeed a nice thing to have.

The new device handling is already built with recovery compatibility
in mind and the format should not change (at least not in near future,
migration to JSON-like format is planned but definitely not close to
being ready)

> > It would be nice to get my code working entirely independent of
> > self.conf['devices'] if possible.  Also, when are you aiming to have
> > this work completed?  Live Merge is needed for 3.5.  Will this work be
> > ready before then?
>
> Unfortunately I don't think the VmContainer patch can make it for 3.5
> since the merge window is closing quite fast.
> I think we have realistically something like 2-3 days left to have it merged
> and AFAIK there is still quite some work to do to achieve that,
> including a not-trivial rebase.

Currently it seems that VmContainer will not be needed at all and would
only add more code bloat.