[ovirt-devel] Entity names in DB scripts

Sven Kieske S.Kieske at mittwald.de
Tue May 27 12:11:18 UTC 2014

further more, given the terminology of today
it's not sure if "cluster" means gluster cluster
or migration domain.

also look at my example for "host"
a "host" can be everything:
a) the machine engine runs on
b) a machine in a "cluster", running vms
c) a machine in a "cluster", as storage backend
d) some network equipment (may be virtualized)

in short: don't use any term which has to broad usage
(like "host" or "cluster"):

use: "compute node" for machines running vms
use: "migration domain" (or similar narrowed down specifc term)
for a bunch of hosts between which a vm can be migrated.

Just my opinion of course.

PS: It's no argument at all to say:
"but we did this always this way, we can't change it"

I know this can introduce a lot of work, but nameing
schemes can be converted over time or via scripts/automatism.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Sven Kieske

Systemadministrator
Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
Königsberger Straße 6
32339 Espelkamp
T: +49-5772-293-100
F: +49-5772-293-333
https://www.mittwald.de
Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer
St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217, HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhausen
Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH, HRB 13260, AG Bad Oeynhausen