[ovirt-devel] how to call the SW part of instance type?

Tomas Jelinek tjelinek at redhat.com
Fri May 30 12:17:27 UTC 2014

Hey all,

in the instance type feature [1] there are two parts, the "instance types" (HW part of the machine) and the "something not sure how to call" (which is basically a disk image with some SW related metadata like OS type). It is inspired by the Amazon's "Instance Type" + "AMI".

Currently, the handling of the HW part is merged upstream (some small parts missing but mostly there) but the software part is not. I'd like to start implementing it and wanted to ask the community how to call it. Normally it would be called "image", but since we already have images in oVirt it would be confusing.

I see this options how to call it, please feel free to comment on them, vote for some or propose a new name (please keep in mind that the HW part is called "Instance Type").

- Instance Image
- Software Profile
- OMI (oVirt Machine Image)
- System Image