[ovirt-devel] Thoughts on modularization

Yair Zaslavsky yzaslavs at redhat.com
Wed Nov 5 20:40:05 UTC 2014

Vojtech, I have to agree with Alon here,
as much as I enjoyed in the past seeing hibernate move to annotations , I think in our case a configuration file is better.

> > * API for fetching modules, i.e. getModuleByName('xxx')
>
> there is no need as within the extension context you have access to this
> information, all you need is iterate a list, see Base.java.
>
> >   API for exporting module API, i.e. exportApiObject(foo)
>
> not sure why it is needed... once extension is loaded it is available.
>
> > This way, you'd have one "core" module, providing most general
> > functionality/abstractions. Then you'd have more specific modules,
> > plugged into "core" module's API etc. In other words, hierarchy of
> > modules. This is essentially modularization taken to extreme :)
> >
> > (BTW, above is just an idea.)
>
> not sure I understand what is the functionality difference between this and
> the primitive approach we already have...
>
> 1. every configuration at /etc/ovirt-engine/extensions.d and
> /usr/share/ovirt-engine/extensions.d are loaded during engine startup.
>
> 2. each extension has two phases load and init, during init an extension can
> locate other extensions by name via its context. it is true that probably
> missing functionality is to support ordering of the init and load, we left
> it into future as there was no actual need for this.
>
> 3. each extension can interact with other extension.
>
> 4. there must be core model to trigger the entire thing, core cannot be just
> a loader.

Alon, can you elaborate here on number 4?
In an ideal world, wouldn't you want to have the "engine core" be a small as something that goes over the extensions and loads them? and maybe let each extension expose somehow its relevant part of rest-api (besides of using ext-api to interact between extension and of course each extension should have the relevant logic implementerd within)