[ovirt-devel] long type for engine<->vdsm communication

Piotr Kliczewski piotr.kliczewski at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 10:21:12 UTC 2014

Hi,

Currently we are unable to send long values between engine and vdsm
due to xmlrpc limitation. There is an extension i8 for xmlrpc which
enables 64bit numerical values (long) but we can't use it due to
compatibility reasons. To workaround this limitation people cast long
to string before sending it to the other side. I came up with engine
and vdsm patches [1] to make this type conversion in single place.

Jsonrpc supports long marshalling so by having above patches we can
start to use long types without worrying about type conversion.

Please let me know what do you think about it and whether there are
any reasons why we should not have this changes in 3.6.

Thanks,
Piotr

[1] http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/q/status:open+topic:long-type-for-xmlrpc,n,z