[ovirt-devel] Thoughts on modularization

Alon Bar-Lev alonbl at redhat.com
Fri Nov 7 15:17:56 UTC 2014

Hi,

I can summarized that you want again to go into the "Java way" and not the "Simple/primitive way".
I think it is a mistake and will not have any benefit, "API" can be a wrapper over primitive interaction.
We were there at past discussions, and as there is no leader of project we can discuss this to death, and I am not intend to do this yet another time (we have done this at branding, we have done this for aaa, partially for ui plugins [there we should kill gwt], and ...).

I will make this short...
1. the current extension api is sufficient to construct a very complex implementation using very simple and primitive interface.
2. the current extension api enable implementing extensions using non java technologies, such as javascript/jpython.
3. the current extension api enable to not have any difference if core or extension interacts with extensions.
4. the current extension api enable forward and backward compatibility in simple methodology,.
5. a wrapper over the extension api can provide whatever high level api that is preferred by developer as an optional utility.

we can always over engineer solution or have java specific solutions, I always vote for simplicity.

Alon