[ovirt-devel] virt-v2v intergration with vdsm

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Oct 2 09:00:21 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 04:23:31AM -0400, Arik Hadas wrote:
> - the second option will be based on estimations of the actual size
>   of the converted disks and since all we know is their
>   virtual-sizes, we might allocated much more space that we need so
>   we'll need another phase of shrinking the disks according to the
>   amount of data that was actually written - in this case the whole
>   operation will be slower than it could be

Although estimation is difficult, it's a bit more sophisticated than
just the virtual size.  See:

https://github.com/libguestfs/libguestfs/blob/master/v2v/v2v.ml#L488

Actually I need to test this code on some sample guests to see how
close the estimate is to the reality.

Rich.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v