[ovirt-devel] GWT vs. Java

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Fri Oct 3 13:29:15 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

I've had a discussion with Roy about GWT vs. Java plans,
he asked me to share this information, so here we go.

GWT 2.6
=======
- patch pending merge: http://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/32135/
- support for Java 7 language syntax like <> operator etc.
- once patch ^^ is merged, we can consolidate Java language
  compliance for whole Engine -> both frontend and backend
  can use Java 7 (yey!)

GWT 2.7
=======
- planned support for *only* Java 8 language syntax like
  lambdas etc. but *without* emulating new Java 8 APIs like
  streams etc. (Java 8 API emulation should come in GWT 3.0)

Likely, GWT 2.7 will remove GWT deRPC implementation on which
we currently rely on. (@Martin, can you please share details?)

This means that until we move UI to REST API, we can't upgrade
post GWT 2.6, so this will put more pressure to work on oVirtJS
project in consequence.

GWT 3.0
=======
- ETA early next year?
- planned to fully support Java 8 -> both language and APIs
- one of key highlights is better integration with JavaScript,
  which fits the scenario where GWT "application" is one module
  that's part of bigger application (hybrid approach)

Regards,
Vojtech