[ovirt-devel] CPU sockets, threads, cores and NUMA

Francesco Romani fromani at redhat.com
Thu Dec 10 15:29:49 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

What are those subcores? Does this subcore concept map on something like
SMT on x86_64? Or is this an hardware concept (mind goes to the
AMD's bulldozer modules)

> This configuration must be taken in
> consideration as given e.g. 160 threads overall, it is possible to run
> either 20 VMs in smt8 mode, 40 VMs in smt4 mode or 80 VMs in smt2
> mode.

Could you elaborate a bit more about the se smtX modes and how they
play with threads and cores?

> We have to report either the total number of threads OR just the
> threadsPerCore setting, so the users know how many "CPUs" should be
> assigned to machines for optimal performance.

Which options is best for ppc, if there is any difference?

bests,

--
Francesco Romani
RedHat Engineering Virtualization R & D