[ovirt-devel] Subject: Looking for advice regarding user portal development.

Thomas Shaw t.shaw7575 at student.leedsbeckett.ac.uk
Fri Dec 11 21:38:16 UTC 2015

Evening all,

I'm a student from the UK, currently studying Bsc (Hons) Computer Forensics
& Security, looking for a bit of advice regarding front-end development for
the oVirt user portal. For my final year project I’m going to be extending
the current user portal to produce a user interface that fits the needs of
Computer Security education.

I want to create an interface that supports the workflow of a tutor
configuring one to many virtual machines / networks for a scenario based
lab session. The project will involve developing two different interfaces
depending on whether a student or tutor is logged in.

The project is going to be based on a paper that was presented in the UK at
the first Cybersecurity Education and Training conference as part of the
Vibrant Workshop, and is available in full here:
http://z.cliffe.schreuders.org/publications/VibrantWorkshop2015%20-%20An%20open%20cloud-based%20virtual%20lab%20environment%20for%20computer%20security%20education:%20%20A%20pilot%20study%20evaluation%20of%20oVirt.pdf

The tutor portal will have an avenue for tutors to upload images and a way
to group templates of virtual machines for students to clone. The student
portal will have one webpage with a list of their owned VMs on the left,
like the current user portal, and all lab VM templates on the right
organised/grouped by lab. Students will be able to clone a VM or group of
VM's from the right with a couple of clicks at most.

I'm planning on forking the user-portal code and making changes here. I
want a different interface to appear for the students and the tutors.
Initial thoughts were to do this based on the 'Role' concept within oVirt -
I plan on creating 2 new user group’s with predefined roles, Student and
Tutor, and having the tutor-only functionality appear on an additional tab
which only appears if the logged in user has the Tutor role.

We have a powerful development server at university which is currently
running oVirt 3.6 with 3 nodes. As of right now I've set up the engine
development environment on Fedora 23. I'm still getting familiar with the
code and build process and have not yet deployed a build to the server.

It is my hope and intention that any work I produce will be of value to the
greater community and will open source all work.  I would really appreciate
any input / advice in developing for the user portal and hope to produce
something make my code changes more likely to be accepted upstream.

Thanks for reading,
Thomas Shaw