[ovirt-devel] Move to Jboss Wildfly - planned for Monday, June 22nd

Oved Ourfali ovedo at redhat.com
Thu Jun 18 06:13:50 UTC 2015

Hi all!

On Monday, June 22nd, 11:00 CET, we plan to drop JBoss 7.1 support in oVirt 3.6 and move to Jboss WildFly 8.2
(we're still doing final verifications, but it looks promising).

This will allow us to support Fedora 22 properly, and in future versions to leverage some new and cool features.

In addition, Jboss WildFly 8.2 works with OpenJDK 1.8 so you can easily use it for
development on newer distributions where OpenJDK 1.7 is not available (Fedora 21 and 22, for example).

When the patch [1] is merged, you will need WildFly 8.2 to be able to develop
oVirt engine 3.6. Please use following guideline and update your development
environment:

I. Using WildFly 8.2 for oVirt 3.6 development

 1. Enable ovirt-master-snapshot-static repository on your development machine
      [ovirt-master-snapshot-static]
      name=Latest oVirt master additional nightly snapshot
      baseurl=http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/ovirt-master-snapshot-static/rpm/@DIST@$releasever/
      enabled=1
      skip_if_unavailable=1
      gpgcheck=0

    Please replace "@DIST@" with "fc" for Fedora or "el" for Centos/RHEL

 2. Install WildFly packages:
      yum install ovirt-engine-wildfly ovirt-engine-wildfly-overlay

 3. Rebase your patches and build oVirt engine (assuming "~/ovirt-engine" as
    destination)
      make install-dev

 5. Setup WildFly overlay (assuming "~/ovirt-engine" as destination)
      echo "ENGINE_JAVA_MODULEPATH=\"/usr/share/ovirt-engine-wildfly-overlay/modules:\${ENGINE_JAVA_MODULEPATH}\"" \
          > ~/ovirt-engine/etc/ovirt-engine/engine.conf.d/20-setup-jboss-overlay.conf

 6. Execute setup
      cd ~/ovirt-engine
      ./bin/engine-setup

 7. Start engine service
      cd ~/ovirt-engine
      ./share/ovirt-engine/services/ovirt-engine/ovirt-engine.py start

II. Using JBoss 7.1.1 for 3.5 environment

 Using JBoss 7.1.1 on 3.5 is still possible, by doing the following:

  1. Install JBoss 7.1.1 RPM from ovirt-master-snapshot-static repo using
       yum install ovirt-engine-jboss-as

  2. Build oVirt engine 3.5 with your backported feature (assuming
     "~/ovirt-engine" as destination)
       make install-dev

  3. Execute setup
       cd ~/ovirt-engine
       ./bin/engine-setup--jboss-home=/usr/share/ovirt-engine-jboss-as

  4. Start engine service
       cd ~/ovirt-engine
       ./share/ovirt-engine/services/ovirt-engine/ovirt-engine.py start

Once merged, we will send an E-mail to make sure you're all aware, and that you can do the steps described above.

We're here for any issue you might have (specifically Martin who is responsible for this effort, and myself).
Don't hesitate to contact us for any issue, either by mail or irc (mperina or oved).

Regards,
Oved

[1] https://gerrit.ovirt.org/40152