[ovirt-devel] [VDSM] dynamic tuning of logging

Francesco Romani fromani at redhat.com
Wed Mar 4 08:21:00 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

I'd like to allow VDSM to change the verbosity of its loggers at runtime,
without restarting the daemon.

Doing so, we could make the default silent, and we'll also offer a convenient
way for users to enable/disable debug log. When something has to be debugged
or better understood, one can temporarily increase verbosiness, and then restore
the normal level, with minimal service disruption (= no vdsmd restart).

Currently vdsm uses the standard 'logging' module, which, to best of my knowledge,
allows to tune levels at runtime since forever.

So, the main concern is the interface. I see these options, from the one I like
the most to the one I like the least:

1. add a inotify helper/trigger, just reload the config file when changed.
   Seems safe and convenient, but will lead to a "complex" patch.

2. just add a new verb to be used by Engine/vdsClient/whatever.
   Tuning log levels is not more dangerous than a truckload of verbs we already
   expose

3. build on the manhole integration (https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/32147/).

4. use signals (SIGUSR? SIGHUP?)

Thoughts welcome