[ovirt-devel] el6 future in ovirt-3.6

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Mon Mar 16 13:28:18 UTC 2015

Current master branch of vdsm (destined for our 3.6 release) uses el7 as
its main platform. New features are expected to be available only on el7
(and modern Fedoras) but not on el6.

On el6, vdsm still builds, runs, and exports clusterLevel <= 3.5, with
no feature loss relative to 3.5. This has been done per gluster request.

However, maintaining this furhter as high costs: we keep testing el6, we
need to make sure nothing breaks there, and there's a lot of legacy code
that we could start deleting.

Sahina, would you explain (again... sorry for not recalling the details)
why ovirt-3.6's vdsm should keep running on el6? I'd like to see if
there's a nother means to solve the underlying gluster issue.

Regards,
Dan.