[ovirt-devel] Default virt lock manager and Sanlock for Hosted Engine HA

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Mon Mar 23 11:00:12 UTC 2015

Hi,
while working on a patch for hosted engine[1] it has been raised an objection about limiting the use of sanlock as lock manager to the Hosted Engine
VM only.

"the ha should dynamically set libvirt if possible, or we need to also revert this part if disabled.
also, if ever vdsm will require to configure this file we will have a race which is not healthy.
it seems that you can define domain and per domain setting and assign your vm to that domain instead of effecting entire host."

But looking at Fedora Virt Lock Manager feature[2] looks like we should configure libvirt for using sanlock by default and not only for Hosted Engine HA.

If we decide that we should keep the default lockd manager instead of the sanlock one I wpuld like to ask virt team which is the best way for setting
sanlock only for the hosted engine VM.
I've seen I can change the libvirt xml using a vdsm hook and pass command line options to qemu[3] but I can't see an option to pass to qemu-kvm for that.

There was also an ongoing discussion about locking per disk / per vm on the storage team part, so maybe this is not the best way to get this done
after all.

What do you think / suggest?

[1] https://gerrit.ovirt.org/38547
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VirtLockManager