[ovirt-devel] [ATN] Introduction of RESTAPI metamodel

Juan Hernández jhernand at redhat.com
Tue Oct 27 11:16:37 UTC 2015

On 10/27/2015 11:28 AM, Roman Mohr wrote:

> [...]
>     is the
>     >     > final scenario?
>     >     >
>     >
>     >     The motivation for this change is that currently we don't have
>     a central
>     >     place where the RESTAPI is specified, rather we have several
>     different
>     >     places, using several different technologies:
>     >
>     >     * XML schema for the data model.
>     >     * JAX-RS for part of the operational model (without the
>     parameters).
>     >     * rsdl_metadata.yaml for the parameters of the operational model.
>     >
>     >     This makes it difficult to infer information about the model. For
>     >     example, the generators of the SDKs have to download the XML
>     schema, and
>     >     the RSDL (which is generated from the JAX-RS interfaces using
>     reflection
>     >     and combining it with the information from the
>     rsdl_metadata.yaml file)
>     >     and then they have to do their own computations to extract
>     what they
>     >     need.
>     >
>     >     Same happens with the CLI: it has to extract the information
>     it needs
>     >     from the Python code generated for the Python SDK, yet another
>     level of
>     >     indirection.
>     >
>     >
>     > You are right, that definitely needs to be cleaned up. I just want to
>     > discuss a few points below with you.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >     We are also lacking a comprehensive reference documentation of the
>     >     RESTAPI. What we currently have has been written by hand, and
>     gets out
>     >     of sync very quickly, and we don't even notice.
>     >
>     >
>     > Did you also consider swagger? It is made for exactly that purpose.
>     > I created a demo in [1] which uses resteasy, weld, hibernate-validator
>     > and swagger to demonstrate how to do DRY with jaxrs.
>     > Would be great to hear you thoughts on that.
>     >
>     > And there is the great swagger-ui [8] to display the documentation
>     in a
>     > more human readable way.
>     >

>     Yes, I considered Swagger, and rejected it because it is JSON centric,
>     and I think JSON isn't as good as Java to represent the contracts of our
>     RESTAPI.
>

> You just write plain jax-rs, swagger just creates a description out of
> it. So  the source defining the contract is pure java (jax-rs with some
> swagger annotations for description, etc.).

If I understand correctly the Swagger core is a JSON (or YAML)
specification of the API. From that you can generate JAX-RS annotated
code, not the other way around. So the specification document that you
write is a JSON document.

Alternatively, you can use the Swagger annotations to decorate your
implementation, both the entity classes and the JAX-RS resource
implementations, and then extract the model from that. But this is
putting the implementation before the specification. That is where we
are today, and it causes multiple problems. I think it is better to have
the specification and the implementation separate. Swagger does that
well when using JSON directly, our metamodel also does it well, but
using a better language.

>     In addition we need to do these changes in a smooth way, without causing
>     big changes in the middle. For example, in the first step we need to
>     preserve the JAX-RS interfaces as they are today, to avoid massive
>     changes to all the resource implementations. This could be done with
>
>     Swagger, but would require custom code generators. With less effort we
>     can do our own.
>

> This is of course generally a difficult task. But I do not know why it
> would be more difficult to write a custom swagger reader (if we even
> have to, it can read the interfaces as well) .
> They are pretty streight forward. Just look at [9], this contains the
> wole jax-rs specific code to generate the swagger documentation.
>
> But yes, I don't know every detail here of the engine and can't clearly
> say that integrating that would just streight forward (my feeling tells
> me that it would not be too hard). I am just under the impression that
> we would benefit from that. Just reduces custom magic to a minimum.

Using something like Swagger would be certainly possible, and not that
hard, but it requires an effort. For example, say that we decide to use
the Swagger annotations. Then we will need to add these annotations to
all our JAX-RS resource implementations. That is a non trivial effort.
We would need to add the annotations to the entities as well. But wait,
we don't have such entities, only XML schema. So we would need a reader
that parses XML schema, and creating it requires effort. Where do we put
the documentation then? Part in the JAX-RS interfaces, part in the XML
schema. We are already there, and we ended up with no documentation at
all. In my view the sum of these efforts is higher than doing our own
metamodel.

> [...]
>     of the
>     >     rsdl_metadata.yaml file and into the model. For example:
>     >
>     >       @Service
>     >       public VmService {
>     >         /**
>     >          * The operation to add a virtual machine.
>     >          */
>     >         interface Add {
>     >           /**
>     >            * The representation of the virtual machine is received
>     >            * as parameter, and the representation of the created
>     >            * virtual machine is returned as result.
>     >            */
>     >            @In @Out Vm vm();
>     >
>     >            /**
>     >             * In the future, we will be able to specify other
>     >             * parameters here.
>     >             */
>     >            @In Boolean force();
>     >
>     >            /**
>     >             * Even with default values.
>     >             */
>     >            @In default Boolean force() { return true; }
>     >
>     >            /**
>     >             * And we will be able to specify constraints, which
>     >             * will replace the rsdl_metadata.yaml file.
>     >             */
>     >            @Constraint
>     >            default boolean vmNameMustNotBeNull() {
>     >              return vm().name() != null;
>     >            }
>     >          }
>     >       }
>     >
>     >     * Enforce the constraints automatically. If the constraints
>     are in the
>     >     model, then we can just check them and reject requests before
>     delivering
>     >     them to the application. Currently we do this manually (and often
>     >     forget) with calls to "validate(...)" methods.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > Did you consider just annotating the DTOs with JSR-303 annotations and
>     > integrate a validator with jax-rs?
>     > See [2] for an example.
>     >

>     This is a great way to implement a system, but the goal here isn't to
>     implement it, rather to specify it. Using annotations in this way won't
>     help the generators of the SDKs, for example, to figure out what
>     parameters are required, mandatory, etc.
>

> Swagger understands them. From my example project, swagger created that

>         type: "string"
>         minLength: 10
>         maxLength: 100
>
> out of
>
>      @Size(min=10, max=100) # jsr-303
>      private String description;
>
> and so does swagger-codegen which can generate clients in java, python, ...

This is extracting the specification from the implementation, which
isn't correct in my opinion, it should be the opposite. Not saying that
this makes Swagger bad, it is nice that it has this capability, but I
think we can do it better.

>     >
>     >
>     >     * Generate the Java classes directly from the model. Instead of Model ->
>     >     XML Schema -> Java, we can do Model -> Java. This will allow us to solve
>     >     some of the XJC compiler limitations, like the horrible way we handle
>     >     arrays today.
>     >
>     >
>     > Swagger [3] is a rest documentation specification. There is also a maven
>     > plugin [4] and you can create clients for example with [5].
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >     * Replace JAX-RS with a simpler infrastructure that supports better
>     >     streaming and CDI injection.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > With resteasy-cdi you have pretty good injection support for resteasy.
>     > Run the demo in [1] to see it in action and look at the file at [6].
>     >

>     Resteasy-CDI isn't standard, it only works with Resteasy. If we rely on
>     it then we re tied to Resteasy for ever.
>

> Even jersey has support for that (I think it is called jeryse-gf-cdi),
> but why would we want switch? I don't think that jboss will drop
> resteasy and it also works fine outside of full blown containers. I
> don't think that this is an argument.

Well, nobody thought that JBoss would drop Tomcat, and they did. Nobody
thought that Resteasy would change the SPI from 2.x to 3.x, and they did.

We want (well, I want) to get out of JAX-RS because it doesn't support
well CDI and streaming.

> [...]
>     interfaces, as
>     >     > far as I can see we only have one implementation per
>     endpoint) and
>     >     > creating all schemas and clients through SWAGGER tooling?
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >     If you have doubts, please let me know.
>     >     >
>     >     >     Regards,
>     >     >     Juan Hernandez
>     >     >
>     >     >     --
>     >     >     Dirección Comercial: C/Jose Bardasano Baos, 9, Edif.
>     Gorbea 3,
>     >     planta
>     >     >     3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain
>     >     >     Inscrita en el Reg. Mercantil de Madrid – C.I.F. B82657941 -
>     >     Red Hat
>     >     >     S.L.
>     >     >     _______________________________________________
>     >     >     Devel mailing list
>     >     >     Devel at ovirt.org <mailto:Devel at ovirt.org>
>     <mailto:Devel at ovirt.org <mailto:Devel at ovirt.org>>
>     >     <mailto:Devel at ovirt.org <mailto:Devel at ovirt.org>
>     <mailto:Devel at ovirt.org <mailto:Devel at ovirt.org>>>
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     > Thanks,
>     >     >
>     >     > Roman
>     >
>     >
>     >     --
>     >     Dirección Comercial: C/Jose Bardasano Baos, 9, Edif. Gorbea 3,
>     planta
>     >     3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain
>     >     Inscrita en el Reg. Mercantil de Madrid – C.I.F. B82657941 -
>     Red Hat
>     >     S.L.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > I don't know if it is the right thing to do to invent something new
>     > here. I personally would prefer to thread a path which is very
>     common on
>     > the java community.
>     > I would love follow the DRY principle regarding to the stack and the
>     > code and would just use the great community projects there.
>     >
>     > It would also completely eliminate any custom magic. The JAX-RS
>     and CDI
>     > magic is pretty standard and easy to understand.
>     > From my perspective, real JAX-RS resoures have the advantage of
>     >
>     >  * being very easy to understand (there is magic, but the
>     connection to
>     > the real endpoint is pretty clear)
>     >  * being easy to customize suff, like adding @GZip to an annotation
>     >  * describing pretty clearly the connection between the generated rest
>     > interface and the internal services
>     >
>     > Finally writing hand crafted tests is also much easier.

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain