[ovirt-devel] Vdsm tests are 4X times faster on travis

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Mon Dec 5 15:50:16 UTC 2016

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 9:59 AM, Barak Korren <bkorren at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Here are builds that do not change the build system:
>> > -
>> > http://jenkins.ovirt.org/job/vdsm_master_check-patch-fc24-x86_64/5767/console:
>> > 10:07
>> > -
>> > http://jenkins.ovirt.org/job/vdsm_master_check-patch-el7-x86_64/4157/console:
>> > 10:16
>> >
>> > So we about 2X times faster now.
>>
>> Awesome! also for fc24:
>>
>> 22:11:22 Init took 73 seconds
>>
>> 22:13:45 Install packages took 143 seconds
>>
>> So 3m 36s, our pending patches can probably bring that down to around
>> 20s. That will get us to around 7m...
>> Maybe we could shave some more seconds off by optimizing the git clone
>> and making some of the cleanups happen less frequently.
>> (It seems we spend 16s total outside of mock_runner.sh, so perhaps not
>> much to gain there).
>>
>> So any more ideas where we can get extra 2-3m?
>

> Can we run the tests in parallel in nose[1] ?

We don't want to go there, lot of tests are not safe when run concurrently.

If we want this we need to check all tests and mark those that can be
run in parallel
and then find how to do this in the test framework.

Anyway we don't want to use nose, it is a dead project, and we want to move
to pytest.

We already use pytest for the import tests, see "tox -e imports"