[ovirt-devel] ovirt-appliance (today) is 1.5G...

Fabian Deutsch fdeutsch at redhat.com
Tue Dec 6 10:40:19 UTC 2016

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 2:18 AM, Ryan Barry <rbarry at redhat.com> wrote:
> Just a comment --
>
> Cursory testing shows that makedeltarpm is not good at this -- it doesn't
> know how to examine the contents of the OVA (or they're too different). The
> delta RPM between 4.0 (~1GB) and 4.1-pre (~1.45GB) is 1.41GB. With or
> without -r

Yep - deltarpm uses bsdiff and they struggle to diff so large binary files.

If we had a different deliverable - like a tarball - then bsdiff could
make sense.
But a qcow is not an ideal format for doing a binary diff.
Btw a squashfs is also not suitable for bdiff.

- fabian

> It may take a little more tweaking, but the options for "makedeltarpm" are
> pretty sparse. We can try talking to the maintainer this week also...
>
> On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 4:00 PM, Ryan Barry <rbarry at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> We may also want to do this with Node/RHV-H eventually (since the updates
>> there are already 500MB).
>>
>> I don't think we currently ship deltarpm on RHV-H, but it's a very small
>> addition. The question is whether makedeltarpm can actually do anything
>> meaningful with something which is already a sparsified image wrapped in an
>> RPM, but I'll test...
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 6:35 AM, Doron Fediuck <dfediuck at redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> FYI

>>> http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/ovirt-master-snapshot/rpm/el7/noarch/ovirt-engine-appliance-4.1-20160927.1.el7.centos.noarch.rpm