[ovirt-devel] [VDSM] Support for external leases - possible breakage with development version

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Sat Dec 24 20:10:55 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 6:47 PM, Nir Soffer <nsoffer at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I merged today the last patches for supporting external leases.
>
> In storage domain version 4 (the default in ovirt 4.1), there is now
> a new volume named "xleases".
>
> When upgrading older storage domain (version 3), we create and
> format the new volume.
>
> If you used a development version with storage domain version 4,
> your storage domain may not work with current master. You should
> recreated such storage domain.
>
> As a workaround, you can create the special volume manually:
>
> File storage:
>
>     sudo -u vdsm truncate -s 1G
> /rhev/data-center/mnt/server:_path/domain_uuid/dom_md/xleases
>
> Block storage:
>
>     lvcreate --name xleases --size 1g domain_uuid
>
> Note that the volume should be also be formatted to actually use
> external leases,
> but having it should be good enough to keep the system happy.

To create a fully functional xleases volume, you can use this patch:
https://gerrit.ovirt.org/69069

    Creating xleases volume on file storage:

        PATH=/rhev/data-center/mnt/server:_export/sd_id/dom_md/xleases
        truncate -s 1G $PATH
        vdsm-tool format-xleases sd_id $PATH

    Creating the xleases volume on block storage:

        lvcreate --name xleases --size 1g sd_id
        vdsm-tool format-xleases sd_id /dev/sd_id/xleases
        lvchange -an sd_id/xleases

Nir