[ovirt-devel] [oVirt 4.0 Localization Question #9] "The request contains unsupported parameter value '%s' for parameter '%s'."

Yuko Katabami ykatabam at redhat.com
Wed Jun 15 21:04:13 UTC 2016

Hi Martin,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Please see my comment inline:

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 11:50 PM, Martin Perina <mperina at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 5:35 AM, Yuko Katabami <ykatabam at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ravi and all,
>>
>> I am reporting the following as this may cause potential issues:
>>
>> *File:* backend/manager/modules/enginesso/src/main/resources/messages
>> *Resource ID:* UNSUPPORTED_PARAMETER_IN_REQUEST
>> *String:​​ *The request contains unsupported parameter value '%s' for
>> parameter '%s'.
>>

> ​I think we could change that to:
>>
> *​ *The request contains unsupported value
> ​​
> '%s' for parameter '%s'.

​My comment was probably not clear enough.​

​What I meant is that ​
​
'%s' is used twice in this string, one is used for "value" and the other
for "parameter".

When we translate, for example into Japanese, the order of words will be
changed.
It will look like:

| The request | contain | of the paramater
​
'%s (parameter)' | value
​
'%s (value)'|
but is the first
​
'%s' is defined to be value, and the second
​
'%s' is parameter, translation will be shown on UI as:
| The request | contain | of the paramater
​
'%s (value)' | value
​
'%s (parameter)'|

So it would be better if you can use different variables, instead of 2 x ​
​
'%s'.

Hope this clarifies the issue.

Thanks,

Yuko

> Yuko, is it OK? If so, Ravi could you post a patch?
>
> *Question: *Using the same variables in a single sentence would cause
>> problem when it is translated as the order of words may be changed. It
>> should use different variables.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Yuko

​​