[ovirt-devel] oVirt 4.0 Nightly repo

Sven Kieske s.kieske at mittwald.de
Thu Jun 16 14:11:11 UTC 2016

Hi,

first thanks for this in depth and long
explanation. I'm actually already aware
of what you just explained.

But I'm a long time user, I guess, so I had
plenty of time to get used to all this.

But you didn't factor in other important things
like: which datacenter or cluster version does include
feature X (e.g. support for el6.6, el6.7 el7.0, etc).

this is further complicated by the fact that someone packages
vdsm for el6epel, but apparently in a backwards incompatible
version for older ovirt releases.

e.g. the current version in epel for el6 is:

vdsm-4.16.20-1.git3a90f62.el6.x86_64.rpm

so you have to blacklist this if you run an older
engine and happen to need some other packages from epel.

I honestly don't know really why vdsm is included in epel
at all. In order to use it, you need an ovirt-engine with
the necessary repository anyway, which contains vdsm in
the correct version, so why would you want to pull vdsm from
epel?

I don't want to complain a lot, but I hope in the future
we'll have fewer backwards incompatible changes, so newer
vdsm can talk to older engines (even if not all features are supported).

My general impression is, that ovirt becomes
more stable, the more releases come out.

So again: keep up the good work! :-)

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Sven Kieske

Systemadministrator
Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
Königsberger Straße 6
32339 Espelkamp
T: +495772 293100
F: +495772 293333
https://www.mittwald.de
Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer
St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217, HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhausen
Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH, HRB 13260, AG Bad Oeynhausen