[ovirt-devel] Killing XMLRPC on master

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Sun Jun 19 11:02:23 UTC 2016

Hi all,

We are still wasting time on maintaining both xmlrpc and jsonrpc. If we kill
xmlrpc, we can greatly simplify the code base, making it easier to mainain
and add new features.

I suggest to kill xmlrpc in 4.1, and disable it *now* on master.

Currently the we have 3 issues:

1. Mom is still using xmlrpc

Mom must move to jsonrpc.
Martin: can you update on progress of this work?

2. sos plugin using vdsClient

Need to port it to use jsonrpc library, or jsonrpc client

New jsonrpc client:  https://gerrit.ovirt.org/35181

3. Engine is using xmlrpc server for ovf upload/download

We must support current engine in 4.1, so we cannot remove
upload/download feature in this version, but we can remove the
xmlrpc support in this server.

Currently we abuse the xmlrpc server, supporting PUT and GET for
upload and download (XMLRPC is using only POST). We can disable
POST requests in protocoldetector, and not register anything with
the xmlrpc server.

Thoughts?

Nir