[ovirt-devel] Progress report on Vdsm Debian packaging

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Sat May 21 20:17:55 UTC 2016

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 9:39 PM, Milan Zamazal <pdm at zamazal.org> wrote:
> It should be now possible to connect Debian hosts to Engine, although
> not instantly (see below).  You can start experimenting with VMs but
> don't expect much for now.
>
> If you'd like to play with fixing Vdsm on Debian, you can install the
> package as follows:
>
> - Use Debian testing (stretch) or unstable (sid).
>
> - Clone Vdsm Debian repository:
>
>   $ git clone git://anonscm.debian.org/collab-maint/vdsm.git
>
> - Fetch the corresponding upstream source:
>
>   $ wget http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/ovirt-3.6/src/vdsm/vdsm-4.17.23.2.tar.gz
>   $ mv vdsm-4.17.23.2.tar.gz vdsm_4.17.23.2.orig.tar.gz
>
> - Install Vdsm build dependencies:
>
>   # apt-get install debhelper dh-autoreconf dh-systemd python-dev \
>       python-nose python-cpopen python-libvirt python-netaddr \
>       python-pthreading python-pyinotify python-selinux python-six
>
> - Build the packages:
>
>   $ cd vdsm
>   $ dpkg-buildpackage
>
> - Install the packages
>
>   # dpkg -i ../vdsm*.deb
>
> - Fix dependencies:
>
>   # apt-get -f install
>
> Now there are some things that you must perform manually:
>
> - `kvm' group has dynamic gid on Debian, not 36.  So you must create
>   your own group with gid 36 and put the related users to it.  This
>   violates Debian policies but gid 36 is not allocated, so you can do it
>   on your machine.  If there are more reasons than just Vdsm to make kvm
>   group static with gid 36, please tell me.

The actual number should not matter, the code should use the symbolic
names and resolve the number using the pwd and grp modules.

There is an issue with existing storage - if you want to connect debian
host to storage domain created with another system, you must match
your host configuration to the storage permissions. You can change the
storage permissions, but this will make it incompatible with other systems.

Nir