[ovirt-devel] FD leak while initializing vdsm

Martin Sivak msivak at redhat.com
Wed May 25 10:30:22 UTC 2016

For example all the SocketServer or xmlrpclib
>> abstractions close the sockets automatically.
>
> $ grep __del__ /usr/lib64/python2.7/SocketServer.py
> $ grep __del__ /usr/lib64/python2.7/xmlrpclib.py
> $ grep __del__ /usr/lib64/python2.7/SimpleXMLRPCServer.py

I did not say they are using  __del__. I was merely pointing out that
not cleaning after yourself violates the rule of the least surprise in
Python. Because (almost) all higher level objects in the standard
library avoid the need for explicit close call.

> I disagree, __del__ cannot be implemented properly on python 2.
> It is possible to close stuff automatically only in a c extension.

Yes, you need to be careful and you might get into trouble because of
exception handling, but the simple cases where you catch everything
and delete self should be working just fine.

> Trying to implement will lead to endless troubles.

Any examples? (except __init__ not called and exception handling).

Martin