[ovirt-devel] [VDSM] Handling of scripts without a .py suffix

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Sun May 29 12:06:03 UTC 2016

On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 1:02 PM, Yaniv Bronheim <ybronhei at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 12:36 PM, Dan Kenigsberg <danken at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 03:16:10PM +0300, Nir Soffer wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > We have several scripts spread in the source, typically installed in
>> > /usr/libexec/vdsm.
>> > We had a useless WHITELIST[1], trying to compile these scripts with
>> > python3, and
>> > we have similar (but working) whitelist for pyflakes and pep8.
>> >
>> > To simplify the various checks, I think we need to to do this:
>> > 1. Keep .py suffix for all python files
>> > 2. Move all scripts to helpers/ ([2] handles storage scripts)
>> > 3. During installation, strip the .py suffix.
>

> we can leave the py suffix. it doesn't really matter

I think it does. If I rewrite fc-scan in another language, I don't
want to change
the code calling. Executables should not have a suffix.

(We also need to fix the protect shell scripts, remove the .sh)

>> > With these changes, we can use the various checking commands on the
>> > entire
>> > source tree.
>> >
>> > For example, these commands check the entire tree:
>> >
>> >     PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE=1 python3 -m compileall -f -x
>> > '(\.tox/|\.git/)' .
>> >     pep8 .
>> >     pyflakes .
>> >
>> > Thoughts?
>> >
>> > [1] https://gerrit.ovirt.org/58204
>> > [2] https://gerrit.ovirt.org/57363
>>
>> Sounds good, though I'd love to keep the separation of scripts into
>> their natuaral vertical. Keep storage understand storage, etc. Why are
>> you piling them into one source directory?
>

> I didn't comment yet because I don't like the idea behind "helpers" folder
> in vdsm tree, and I don't have any better offers except "scripts".

scripts is not correct, these are executables that can be implemented
in any language.
Their purpose is to help vdsm perform several tasks that can not be
done from the
vdsm process (e.g. fc-scan).

>  we can
> also migrate those scripts to python.. not so sure how much value we can get
> from it if any

We are not going to touch the protect scripts, these are legacy and delicate,
we are waiting for the moment that we can delete them :-)

Nir