[ovirt-devel] [outreachy] application task: port vmSecretTests.py to python 3

Francesco Romani fromani at redhat.com
Wed Oct 5 13:43:14 UTC 2016

Hi Suramya,

Here's the application task for the ovirt outreachy program.

This task is meant to give you a good preview of how the internship with the oVirt project will look
like, including for example how the process will look like, which tools will you need to use
and which tasks you will need to deal with.

Should you discover that the idea you previously expressed interest in doesn't fit you anymore
(this is an expected possible outcome of the application task!) feel free to look for
different ideas in different projects which suits you more!

For additional information, besides the ovirt wiki, you are most welcome to refer to
https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreachy
Sections "Choose a Project" and "Make a small contribution" are especially relevant.

Please note that the ideas listed on http://www.ovirt.org/community/activities/outreachy/
*all* fall into the software development projects.

As usual, feel free to ask any question anytime.

+++

Task: make vmSecretTest.py run under python3

Currently Vdsm is a python 2.7 application, and we want to to support python 3.y.
We are porting our tests to python 3.y, fixing the application code using the compatibility
packages, or switching to the equivalent more modern constructs, as we go.

To run one specific test, we could do like

$ cd /path/to/vdsm/source/tree
$ git checkout master  # make sure you are in the master branch!
$ autoreconf -f -v -i && ./configure && make  # you to do this just once
$ cd tests/
$ ./run_tests_local.sh vmSecretTests.py

The above runs the test using python 2. To use python 3, you just need to change the last step:

$ PYTHON_EXE=python3 ./run_tests_local.sh vmSecretTests.py

See this change as good example of how a patch like this should look like:

https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/65006/1

The patch has to be against the git master branch.
The task is completed when the patch becomes approved (+2 score on gerrit), and there are
no blockers for merge.

As usual, feel free to ask any question anytime, on the devel mailing list (CC'd)
or on IRC channels.

Bests,

--
Francesco Romani