[ovirt-devel] [VDSM] [ENGINE] [RFC] A configuration verb for contexual vdsm operation mode

Piotr Kliczewski pkliczew at redhat.com
Wed Apr 5 07:02:39 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 7:16 AM, Dan Kenigsberg <danken at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 6:33 PM, Michal Skrivanek
> <michal.skrivanek at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On 4 Apr 2017, at 17:26, Dan Kenigsberg <danken at redhat.com> wrote:

> retrieval
> caps)
> retrieve the

> versions for
> It

> this
> mode.

> then
> it.

> One way

> changed?

> which

> remember

> otherwise?

> send
> using

> the
> >>
> >> It does not feel right to have a such a state in Vdsm. and making this
> >> state depend implicitly on a verb feels even worse than an explicit
> >> "configure" verb. We already have something like that in the
> >> debug-oriented setLogLevel verb; but that's not how client/server
> >> applications usually operate.
> >
> > I don’t mind either way
> >

> >> I think that the proper way to do this would be to reconfigure
> >> vdsm.conf, set there collect_statistics=false (via ovirt-host-deploy
> >> or Anible), and restart vdsmd+supervdsmd. This way we are sure that
> >> all threads and services see the new config and act accordingly. This
> >> can be done by Engine whenever a host is added to a new cluster, based
> >> on the statistic-gathering policy in that cluster.
> >
> > But why would you require restart for such a simple thing? We have the
> collection pretty well isolated already, it’s not even using periodic
> sampling, there are nice-to-drop things which can wait (repoStats, HE HA
> status?)
>
> A specific verb for enablePeriodicStatsCollection(False) can work like
> that.
>
> Roy suggested a more general configure verb, which I think can lead to
> all sort of unsatisfiable assumptions.

I wonder when we would enable and whether we want to disable it at some
point.
How would it fit in to the host life cycle? (maintenance, engine not
connected etc)

On the other hand if we want to send stats either by events or collectd we
could
do it always. If collectd is not configured the stats would not be send
(collectd's decision).
In the same way it would work for events if the engine connection is not
there they would
not be sent. The only drawback of this approach is cpu utilization to
prepare/collect
the stats. As far as I remember Yaniv B. already measured the impact.