[ovirt-devel] qemu packaging - add the "qemu" user to a "gluster" group?

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Wed Apr 26 13:36:43 UTC 2017

Hi,

We're trying to improve the debugability of Gluster backed VMs and one
of the features for this is to be able to gather "statedumps". These
statedumps include memory allocation details and other information about
the Gluster client. QEMU is one of the applications that can be
configured to use libgfapi.so Gluster client.

Gluster provides the /var/run/gluster/ directory and the libgfapi.so
library that qemu (in block/gluster.c) uses that. Would there be a
problem for the "qemu" packages to use add the "qemu" user to a
"gluster" group? I'm not sure yet how this is done for other packages
with their own users, but there would be a dependent installation order
of some kind (needs rpm triggers?).

What is your opinion on this issue, or would you recommend an other
approach?

Thanks,
Niels

PS: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1445569 can be used to reply as well