[ovirt-devel] qemu packaging - add the "qemu" user to a "gluster" group?

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Fri Apr 28 11:42:24 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 4:37 PM Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're trying to improve the debugability of Gluster backed VMs and one
> of the features for this is to be able to gather "statedumps". These
> statedumps include memory allocation details and other information about
> the Gluster client. QEMU is one of the applications that can be
> configured to use libgfapi.so Gluster client.
>
> Gluster provides the /var/run/gluster/ directory and the libgfapi.so
> library that qemu (in block/gluster.c) uses that. Would there be a
> problem for the "qemu" packages to use add the "qemu" user to a
> "gluster" group?

Yes, if we go in this way, we will have to add qemu to the gluster group for
for debugging gluster: urls, rbd group for rbd: url, etc. This is not
maintainable.

If qemu process writes a statedump running as qemu user, it should keep
it in the only location in the file system where qemu user can write.

But I think the right place for this discussion is qemu-devel, not
ovirt-devel.