[ovirt-devel] Memory stats in VDSM

Juan Hernández jhernand at redhat.com
Mon Aug 28 11:57:57 UTC 2017

On 08/28/2017 01:42 PM, Michal Skrivanek wrote:

>> On 28 Aug 2017, at 13:37, Juan Hernández <jhernand at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 08/28/2017 01:11 PM, Tomáš Golembiovský wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> there is ongoing effort to change how VDSM collects information about
>>> memory usage from guests. We used to use oVirt guest agent to get the
>>> statistics about free memory, swap usage, etc. This is going to change
>>> and we will use stats provided by VirtIO Balloon driver. [1] This should
>>> not break MOM nor Engine (current or previous versions).
>>> There is however small downside to this change. We will not be able to
>>> fetch information about buffers and caches on Linux guests anymore
>>> (mem_cached and mem_buffers in memoryStats). The corollary of this is
>>> that free memory reported by Engine will also no longer include those
>>> statistics and reported free memory will be really (only) free memory.
>>> I now there will be mixed feelings about this and we would like to get
>>> the information about buffers and caches back to the VDSM. Correctly via
>>> balloon driver statistics. [2] This effort will however take some time.
>>>      Tomas
>>> [1] https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/q/topic:memory-stats
>>> [2] https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2017-08/msg05239.html
>>
>> Note that this information is currently reported by the engine REST API, so it is part of its contract. Removing it breaks backwards compatibility and causes a regression in this RFE:
>
> we can either declare it deprecated or temporarily report 0 until the support propagates into qemu-ga

So there will be an interval of time where it will not be reported? Will
that affect released versions of the system or it is just something that
we will re-add before the next release? It is released versions of the
system that I am concerned about. We should not do a release that breaks
backwards compatibility. It is completely OK if we break it in between
releases.