[ovirt-devel] Memory stats in VDSM

Juan Hernández jhernand at redhat.com
Mon Aug 28 12:39:40 UTC 2017

On 08/28/2017 02:05 PM, Michal Skrivanek wrote:

>> On 28 Aug 2017, at 14:02, Juan Hernández <jhernand at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> So there will be an interval of time where it will not be reported? Will that affect released versions of the system or it is just something that we will re-add before the next release? It is released versions of the system that I am concerned about. We should not do a release that breaks backwards compatibility. It is completely OK if we break it in between releases.
>>>>

>> Not sure I understand this. Currently, if I understand correctly, these values are only populated if the ovirt-guest-agent is installed? That is OK (may be worth documenting it). We plan to replace ovirt-guest-agent with qemu-ga in a mandatory way? Or will the user be able to use one or the other?
>
> both are mandatory today, though not really enforced, there’s just a “!” next to the VM in the VMs grid.
> The plan is to switch data retrieval to qemu-ga and make ovirt-ga optional (it’s going to be mandatory for specific purposes, like SSO)
>
>> If the user decides to use the ovirt-guest-agent, will we continue to report these statistics?
>
> yes, I expect so

OK, in that case I think there is no problem in doing this change, from
the API point of view. I'd just suggest to explicitly document in the
specification of the API that these statistics will only be available if
the ovirt-guest-agent is installed. I mean here:

https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-api-model/blob/4b85ea1305d43ce9ec4221955c8fa2c8e099cd69/src/main/java/types/Vm.java#L412-L419