[ovirt-devel] Adding s390 support to oVirt

Greg Sheremeta gshereme at redhat.com
Sun Dec 10 11:38:56 UTC 2017

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 4:10 AM, Barak Korren <bkorren at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> intended for s390).
> >> Here is the history for vdsm:
> >> http://jenkins.ovirt.org/job/vdsm_master_build-artifacts-
> el7-ppc64le/buildTimeTrend
> >> (~20 builds a day taking 1-2 minutes each)
> >> And here is the one for ovirt-host:
> >> http://jenkins.ovirt.org/job/ovirt-host_master_check-patch-
> el7-ppc64le/buildTimeTrend
> >> (only 1 build in history, taking 3-4 minutes)
> >>
> >> Looking at what else we have building on ppc64le:
> >> http://jenkins.ovirt.org/search/?q=master_build-artifacts-el7-ppc64le
> >> I can also see ioprocess with is a vdsm dependency, and the SDK which
> >> is probably not really needed.
> >> So for ioprocess:
> >> http://jenkins.ovirt.org/job/ioprocess_master_build-
> artifacts-el7-ppc64le/buildTimeTrend
> >> I'd say its very rarely built.
> >>
> >> So we end up with ~20 1-2 minute builds a day (Timed but the amount of
> >> Fedora versions we want to support, but what will probably be just
> >> one), with the rest being a statistical error...
> >>
> >> I wonder about sharing a VM with other project though. We do use mock
> >> for running the build script so the build itself should be fairly
> >> isolated, but we have some of our own wrapper scripts around mock that
> >> do things trying to keep build dependencies in the chroot cache over
> >> time. We're also incompatible with mock's new systemd-nspawn backend,
> >> so we force it to work with the older chroot-based backend. If other
> >> projects are using mock as well, I wonder if we may end up with race
> >> conditions arising from shared use of /var/lib/mock.
> >
> > it should work fine
> >
> >> Bottom line - we may end up being a little noisy neighbours if we
> >> share a VM, but we can try that and see what happens, how to we move
> >> foreward with trying that?
> >
> > ok, I'm pretty sure we can make it work :-) Please send me your
> > public SSH key and preferred username, then I'll set up you an account
> > for you and we can work on the remaining details.
> >

> An update for everyone woh may have been watching this thread - we made it
> work.
>
> With Dan's kind help we've attached an s390x VM to oVirt's CI
> infrastructure. I've then gone ahead and made some code changes to
> make our CI code play nice on it (So far we just assumed we own the
> execution slaves and can do what we want on them...). Following that
> I've gone ahead and added the basic configuration needed to make the
> oVirt CI system support s390x jobs.
>
> For now we only support using Fedora 26 on s390x. Please let me know
> if other distributions are desired.
>
> The code changes I've made had already been tested and are now pending
> code review:
> https://gerrit.ovirt.org/c/85219
> https://gerrit.ovirt.org/c/85221
>
> Once those patches are merged it will become possible to add s390x
> jobs to any oVirt project by adding '390x' to the list of
> architectures targeted by the project in the JJB YAML, as well as
> setting the 'node_filter' to be 's390x' for that architecture.

Great job all! So I guess the question is, for those of us that maintain
oVirt projects, are there any that we know need s390x support added for?

> --
> Barak Korren
> RHV DevOps team , RHCE, RHCi
> Red Hat EMEA
> redhat.com | TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. | redhat.com/trusted

GREG SHEREMETA

SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER - TEAM LEAD - RHV UX

Red Hat NA

<https://www.redhat.com/>

gshereme at redhat.com    IRC: gshereme
<https://red.ht/sig>