[ovirt-devel] oVirt System Test configuration

Dominik Holler dholler at redhat.com
Mon Dec 18 12:35:40 UTC 2017

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 12:51:33 +0200
Eyal Edri <eedri at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 12:43 PM, Sandro Bonazzola
> <sbonazzo at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, I'd like to discuss what's being tested by oVirt System Test.
> >
> > I'm investigating on a sanlock issue that affects hosted engine hc
> > suite. I installed a CentOS minimal VM and set repositories as in
> > http://jenkins.ovirt.org/job/ovirt-system-tests_hc-basic-suite-master/128/
> > artifact/exported-artifacts/reposync-config.repo
> >
> > Upgrade from CentOS 1708 (7.4) minimal is:
> >
> > Aggiornamento:
> >
> > meaning this environement is not receiving updates to core packages
> > like the kernel.
> >
> > Restricting to libvirt, with the repos used in the job libvirt
> > packages doesn't even exists, making yum install libvirt just fail.
> >

> > I think you already know I'm against filtering packages from the
> > repos even if I understand it saves a huge amount of space and
> > download time. I may be wrong, but I tend to not trust OST results
> > since it's not testing real life environments. Any chance we can
> > improve OST to match what users are going to have on their systems?
> >

> Why do you think this is not testing real life environments? what
> gurantees users are yum upgrading their hosts all time time?
> I actually thinks this is representing more the real life than
> forcing yum update all the time, if we need a newer pkg then the spec
> file requirements should be updated.
>
> One option is to refresh the OS Images on a regular basis, and I
> believe Gal is working on on automating the image creation flow which
> would help with that.

I want to take the chance to advertise the idea of using CentOS cloud
images, which are updated sometimes. This way we would have well
defined but regularly updated basic images.

Another idea for hosts is to create an disk images from
http://jenkins.ovirt.org/job/ovirt-node-ng_master_build-artifacts-el7-x86_64/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/exported-artifacts/
This would include ovirt-node in OST and speed up adding hosts.
The drawbacks are that the disk images are big and the current work flow
would be still required to test vdsm patches.
The disk images could be created by
https://gist.github.com/dominikholler/73dfbd9179ad89a002c669a936cd97e4